Your first business growth task? To become a marketing wizard… or find a man who can.
Become a marketing wizard for business growth
Many people who haven’t been involved in marketing view it as a bit of a black art. Many who are involved in marketing can portray it as such either intentionally or inadvertently but the truth is, in its simplest form, the definition of marketing is: “A means of identifying and finding your potential clients, sharing with them your product or service and enticing them to choose you over your competitors.”
A good, clear marketing strategy to ensure correct focus is invaluable and should be used by every business without fail. It doesn’t matter if you run an engineering firm or a café, getting the marketing right is key critical. Too many new businesses with a great potential for growth and success have failed because they haven’t bothered to familiarise themselves with marketing, or foiund someone who knows the ropes.
In fact the latest news proves marketing’s importance beyond doubt. A new survey of entrepreneuers reveals how the biggest reason for British new business fauilure is digital poverty, in other words not knowing enough about the digital landscape to do business effectively within it.
So, here are a few key points to help you bring out the marketing wizard in you, from a business growth professional.
Business growth 101 – 9 tips about growing business profitably
- Think about your USPs and use them to form the foundation of your marketing strategy – unique selling points are what make you stand out from the rest. Think about yours and what your customers might like or expect them to be.
- Identify who your customers are – you can have the best marketing material in the world but if the wrong people are looking at it you’re on a road to nowhere.
- Understand which media your customers are likely to use – if your target audience is back street garages, Facebook and emailers probably won’t get through to them.
- Write your messages in the right style for your audience – My 76-year-old Mum recently received some marketing material from a well-known travel agency. Thestyle of writing was clearly aimed at the 18 to 30 age group and wasn’t just ridiculous in this context but actually could have had a negative effect. She’s actually dead cool and given half the chance may well have taken up the offer, but you get my point.
- Don’t just have a super web site built and then wait for customers to find it – the web is an amazing thing and opens a world-wide shop window but you still need marketing to drive traffic to it
- Consider SEO – search engine optimisation can in some cases make a massive difference to web site traffic and business success.
- Don’t underestimate the power of social media – for the right kind of businesses LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter etc. can be incredibly powerful marketing tools.
- Use only up to date customer contact data and keep updating it – an old out of date contact list is of little or no value.
- Finally, always ask new customers how they found you and listen hard to any feedback – this will help you refine your marketing strategy and reduce marketing expenditure.
Follow these simple business growth rules and before you know it you’ll be creating magical marketing spells and growing your business. There really is nothing more satisfying that knowing your marketing has worked, when the right people find you and begin to buy from you!
In the meantime, if you’d like to get professional marketing support for your new or existing business, let’s talk.